Makhzoumi Foundation organized a Nationwide Contest entitled “My Sustainable Beirut” in cooperation with the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO. This Action aimed to raise public awareness on the importance of sustainable cities, in line with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), specifically SDG11 “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable”.
This contest targeted Youth and Citizens (Ages 15- 29), to apply and learn more about the criteria of a sustainable city while getting involved in the visualization of a sustainable Beirut.
Sixty-Eight youth participated in the contest, either registered via their schools or independently.
The winners were announced on June 24, 2022, via a virtual ceremony held on Microsoft Teams; whereby the attendees were all the participants along with representatives from Makhzoumi Foundation and the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO.
An Awards ceremony was organized on June 27, 2022, at Makhzoumi Foundation premises to honor the winners and distribute the prizes. The attendees were the winners accompanied by their academic mentors and/or families. Moreover, the speakers were Mrs. May Makhzoumi – MF president and Mrs. Christianne Jeitani a representative from the Lebanese National Commission for UNESCO.
The submissions were categorized as such: Drawing, Poster and PowerPoint, and they were evaluated by professional and scientific jury members.
The winners are listed below according to the category they applied for:
Drawing (Age 15-19):
- 1st place, Sleiman Mounir Diab, a student at Beirut Arab University.
- 2nd place, Zeinab Hassan Naim, a student at Greenfield College.
- 3rd place, Aya Fadi Joumaa, a student at Greenfield College.
Poster (Age 15-19):
- 1st place, Moudad Adnan Aridi, a Student at Beirut Arab University.
- 2nd place, Hussein Ahmad Darwich, a student at Beirut Arab University.
- 3rd place, Jana Al Sayed Saleh, a student at Al Imam Al Hasan High school.
Poster (Age 20-24):
- 1st place, Huda Hisham hammoud, a Student at Beirut Arab University.
- 2nd place, Khaled Wajih Dokmak, a student at Beirut Arab University.
- 3rd place, Ali Adel Kobeissi, a student at Al Imam Al Hasan High school.
PowerPoint (Age 15-19):
- 1st place, Jana Rida Baher, a Student at Rihab Al Zahraa- Tyre.
- 2nd place, Jana Bassam Mourad, a student at Greenfield College.
- 3rd place, Ghadir Mehdi Kheir El Diin, a student at Al Hadi institute, for deaf, blind and learning disabilities – Al Mabarrat.
PowerPoint (Age 20-24):
- 1st place, Jinan Ahmad Makkawi, a Student at Beirut Arab University.
- 2nd place, Omar Maher Kaake, a student at Beirut Arab University.
- 3rd place, Mohammad Atef Serhan, a student at Beirut Arab University.
Each of the 1st place winners, won a 12” inch solar powered fan acquainted with light bulbs and USB outlets. However, the 2nd place winners, won 8” inch solar powered fan and the 3rd place winners, won 6” solar powered fan.
In addition, the winning schools were awarded a symbolic token recognizing their participation in the contest.
The schools and institutes who participated are listed as the following: Beirut Arab University, Al Hadi institute for deaf, blind and learning disabilities (Al Mabarrat), Al Imam Al Hassan High School, Greenfield College, Jamil Rawas High School, Makassed Ali Bin Taleb, Rihab Al Zahraa- Tyre / Imam ِ Al Sader Institutions, Al Ahliyah Highschool, and Wellspring Learning community.